Popular Posts

Monday, February 27, 2012

Colorful braising mix

Hi I'm Renee the middle sister. So I got a bag of braising mix from Full Circle once on accident. I had no idea what to do with it so I found this really yummy recipe online and then tweaked it a little. If you can't get braising mix then just chard or kale or any other cooking green will work fine.I have been adding apples to everything because I have some that need to be used but aren't good for snacks. You can also add things like radishes and walnuts. I figured out with the kids that if I add an apple and smoked paprika they like this dish a lot better. Also cutting the greens smaller makes it easier for them to eat.

1/2 lb greens
1 tbs olive oil (or any cooking kind)
1/2 onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 medium carrot grated
1 apple grated
1/2-3/4 c. liquid (water, wine, broth)
1 cup frozen or 1 can corn
smoked paprika to taste
garlic salt to taste


Wash the greens and take out the hard middle stems. I cut them into little pieces but it works to just throw them in any size.



















Heat oil in a skillet or fry pan. Add onion, garlic, apple and carrot. (I didn't have a carrot this time)Cook until onions are tender.


















Add the corn and cook for a few minutes.


















Add about 1/2 c. liquid to start. I like using chicken broth.


















Add the greens. If you are using big pieces then cover and let simmer until greens are wilted. Little pieces cook fine without covering.
Add smoked paprika and garlic salt and stir until combined. Then enjoy! I like putting mine over rice then rice doesn't need any extra seasoning.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for you posting this, I was wanting to ask you for the recipe because I have two bags of greens sitting in my fridge that I havent been motivated to eat and I remembered you talking about the kids liking this one. :)

    ReplyDelete